Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pulse of Heroes ~ Review

 Pulse of Heroes Part I (The Pulse Myths series)
by A Jacob Sweeny
Publication Date: October 31, 2010
Blurb:
 Winner: "Best Indy Book of 2011" by Paranormal Reads!!!!

A suspenseful, passionate, paranormal romance that sweeps through the emotions of first love and heartache as it traverses centuries and continents.

Michelle used to feel like she was behind in everything, especially school and relationships. Her great aunt from the old country says she is like a bland meal, "no salt or pepper". But in junior year, everything changes. Her father takes a position on the Town Council, a popular boy in school becomes interested in her, and most importantly, the Hekademos Learning Center, a private school for 'troubled' students, moves into her quiet neighborhood amidst the protests of the entire town.

After seeing the School Regent out with a group of young guys just before Christmas, Michelle is convinced that there is something odd about them. Her curiosity gets the better of her and she embarks upon a mission to figure out what is really going on. After an embarrassing fall over the school wall, Michelle meets Elliot and her ordinary 'bland' life changes its course forever.

Elliot is no ordinary human. In fact, no one at the Hekademos Learning Center is. Beautiful and fierce, they have survived throughout the millennia by weaving in and out of human events. Through them, Michelle learns that history and myths from around the world are dotted with references to their kind. Michelle falls madly in love with the ever-striking and mysterious Elliot and, as much as he tries to fight it, he develops powerful feelings for her as well.

Although Elliot carries numerous painful memories from his many pasts, he disregards his own better judgment and the advice of his friends, and finds himself falling for Michelle's offbeat personality. Their feelings grow in intensity, but when History catches up with them, the difference between their life paths threatens to destroy any future that they might have had together.

Michelle learns that there are infinite shades of gray between black and white, and has to deal with the bundle of contradictory emotions called love. After some unexpected twists during a family trip to Europe, she has to trust her intuition in order to face the danger and uncertainty of being drawn into Elliot's wondrous world. Ultimately, it is up to Michelle to make the split-second, life-altering decision that will either tear them apart forever, or give them another chance.


5 Stars
Frustratingly Terrific in a very good way!, August 24, 2012
A MUST READ! This book is frustratingly terrific (in a very good way)!!! I found myself so wrapped up in these characters lives that I was frantically searching for clues to what would happen next, & many times wanted to holler out to them as if they could hear me willing them to SAY IT/DO IT already!! LOLz Sweeny is a master at.
.. making us wait as she unleashes her magic!! Her story line is original, & the characters unique. Remembering teenage emotional turmoil past I understood Michelle's frustrations as she struggled with emotions & thoughts. It draws you in & makes you want to comfort her (& sometimes shake her back to reality.)
I particularly loved the history references ... that made it extra exciting for me! I am downloading Part II as I type!! Go ahead & buy Part I & II, because you'll be hooked!


Pulse Genesis





THE PULSE MYTHS SERIES 2012 BEST YA PARANORMAL SERIES! ~ Paranormal Reads

~ A. Jacob Sweeny ~
My novels are long and complex, sweet and intense. They are mysterious and suspenseful Find out why the magic for yourself.
I have been writing and storytelling ever since I was able to hold a pen. When I spent time working as a teacher with children of varying ages I was fascinated by the awesome power of words to excite and inspire the young mind. The art of Storytelling is what makes a good teacher great.
My degree in History with an emphasis on Ancient Near East, and my personal interest in world myths, combined with my fieldwork in archaeology have inspired my research and development of many elements in the story.
I also remember what it was like to be a girl myself and have often wanted to share my own thoughts, fears and dreams during that age with others. Books were essential to my development especially during my teenage years and helped me become the satisfied person that I am today.

THE EXPOSED AUTHOR
When I think of authors from the past I get this picture in my head of the recluse. The either beautiful fragile soul that cannot communicate with the rest of society unless it is through beauty of prose, or perhaps the other type of recluse, the one that had given up on society, bitter and cynical, throwing words of what they consider truth on top of everyone's heads. Whatever the case, the author of yesterday was rarely seen, and rarely heard from, unless they were in the very comfortable circles of people whom they considered good friends.
To a degree the author of yesteryears was held up on a pedestal of an untouchable, unreachable, almost like a mad scientist (albeit a word scientist), and at the same way that they were kept low, as dangerous, and perhaps a little crazy. Maybe it's all true. But I don't think that these types of labels only fit authors, they fit most of the artist community, and even the scholarly one. Yet the word "recluse" still stood out for authors; not anymore.
This proudly worn title is no longer appropriate for us "authors." Society has voted and society wants free information; about everyone, including the people who weave the stories you love to read. Social media has exploded and continues to grow. With a press of one button anyone can reach the far corners of the world to see what people are doing, reading and writing about everywhere.
These days many readers want to reach the author. Whether be it for praise, a literary beating, a question, or just plain curiosity; we are now on display whether we like it or not. Our faces, our personas now present the books we write. It's no longer just the book cover. There is no more hiding in dark caves. You are either a hypocrite or you're not, based on what you write and what you say in public. I remember when that type of labeling was more for people in the performing arts, but perhaps authors have crossed over?
So what do we do? Well, at least for me the switch has been smooth. I am pretty much an open book; I have no dark secrets to hide, but there is a limitation to how much private information I am willing to share. I also happen to be fond of people in general and find a connection with most people I meet. For some, these social skill maybe outside their reach, maybe even just plain uncomfortable, but I don't see things turning back to the way they used to be. So I head straight on and introduce myself with a smile:
Here I am. A. Jacob Sweeny, author of an amazingly suspenseful, romantic, paranormal, and historical adventures... want to go on my ride?

Stalker Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment